29 August, 2005

Myst projects

I was looking at Mystblogs (great little site for members of the Myst community) when I came across the Development Blog for Ages of Ilathid. Now to be completely honest, this is a Myst-fan project that I've been mostly ignoring since it started way back in January of 2004. There are no shortage of fan-projects for a Myst game, but as far as I know, none of them have actually resulted in an actual game. But that's fine, because people are enjoying themselves when they do it. But because there were so many, I didn't really pay much attention to it.

However this post in the blog got me interested in it, so I had a bit more of a look. And it looks pretty good so far. Will this be the fan project that gets completed? I don't know about that. But I do know one thing. They're making some great graphics and pictures and they have a good working knowledge of what it takes to make a game (if only in theory anyway, but they're doing what it takes to gain a practical understanding, making an actual game). And they're enjoying themselves as well, which is the most important thing.

Aveara
Another fan project that I remembered to check on after not doing so for so long, is Aveara. This is a fan project that was begun in May 7th of 2003. Originally it was going to be an online "choose-your-own-adventure" but after completing their first chapter, they realised it would be much too difficult, so they scaled it back to simply a novel that was published online, with great pictures, music and a thematic website to accompany the story.

Unfortunately it went the way of most fan projects and hasn't been updated in over a year. I don't know what it was about Aveara that made me take so much interest in it (perhaps it was because at first I didn't realise it was a fan project, and because growing up I really enjoyed "choose your own adventure" books). Still, I think that when everyone was working on it, they all enjoyed themselves.

Category: Myst

2 Comments:

Blogger Deg said...

I've been most interested in Sehv Tsahno, but that Ilathid blog looks great! A while back I played one sucessful Myst fan game; I think it was called D'ni Legacy.

Welcome to Myst Blogs!

2:57 am  
Blogger John Lynch said...

Thanks for the welcome, Myst Blogs is a great little site here.

I'd actually forgotten about Sehv Tsahno. It sounds like it's almost completely complete, which is heartening.

It's also very pretty and has great sound (along with a great trailer). Don't forget to come let me know once it's completed!

As for D'ni Legacy, that sounds extremely familiar. A ha! I have seen this before. I wonder why I didn't play it. Oh well, it's downloaded so once I do get a chance to play it (I'm fairly busy at the moment) I'll be sure to put up my thoughts. Thanks for mentioning it.

10:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home