01 September, 2005

BBC won't sue it's customers?

It looks like the BBC has decided to respond to the demand for online content in a way that doesn't involve sueing it's customers. Instead it will be placing (at the very least some) of its content online. I think this is a much more positive reaction to filesharers. People sharing copyrighted material have been around forever, only recently have major companies decided it was time to sue them to the degree they are, instead of responding to the demand that's out there.

Is it illegal? Sure. But that isn't stopping people, and neither is sueing them. So it's good to see that the BBC have provided a legal alternative for people. I do wonder though if they'll use bit-torrent, and/or if it will only be available to people from the UK (or if I could download it as well). I'm also quite curious as to what (if any) DRM they'll ruin the download with.

Regardless though, it's good to see that companies are slowly getting the hint that the internet has changed how people want to access their entertainment. Now if only I actually liked some of the Brittish shows :P

2 Comments:

Blogger Logan said...

You don't like Doctor Who? I'd love to be able to get the episodes that I have legally... um.. er, not that I have any illegally gotten episodes that is...

10:49 am  
Blogger John Lynch said...

To be honest, I haven't given it a go. I have quite a few television shows (Law & Order (all of them :P), Stargate: SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek: Enterprise (yes, in Australia that's still showing), 4400 Battlestar Galactica and The Amazing Race) and while most of them aren't showing (the only ones showing are Law & Order, Stargate Atlantis and 4400) I'm still fairly busy with school work (and my other projects) that I haven't bothered getting into Dr Who. Perhaps if repeats are shown later this year, next year I'll give it a go then.

12:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home